Tuesday, August 28, 2007

So tired

End of the second day. I'm pooped. Assigned jobs today, had to send a kid to the principal's office for threatening another child yesterday at lunch. I get air conditioning in my room tomorrow, so I'm excited for that. It's really going well even with those things I listed. I love my kids; I think I'll be able to get them trained the way I want them in just a few weeks. I'm coping out of posting about what we are doing by using what I posted on my class blog. So here it is:

After much anticipation and preparation, the first day of school had finally arrived! I went outside a little before 7:55 and stood next to number 4C on the blacktop and held my section number sign so all the students in our class would know where to go. At 8:00, we entered our room and everyone found their seats and began making name tags and desk plates as they looked around the room that would be their school home for the next 180 days. I was glad to have the opportunity to meet several parents who accompanied their children to class.

When the bell rang, I began by introducing myself. I think everyone was a bit nervous about being in a new class with a new teacher, so I assured them I’m not as scary as I look. Next, we stood up for the Pledge of Allegiance and watched the morning announcements on the TV. We quickly lined up for PE with Coach Najera.

After PE, we looked at the PowerPoint presentation I made to introduce the students to the rules, procedures, and expectations of our school and classroom. We learned many things including how to walk in the hallways and how we treat each other with respect.

Once we finished our discussion on classroom rules and procedures, it was time to get up and out of our seats. First, I showed everyone the secret handshake of Room 23. We practiced and then shook as many hands as we could. So that we all could get to know each other better, we had a classroom scavenger hunt. Students had to go around the classroom and find other students who were on the “list.” For example, they had to find someone who had been to another country, someone who is left-handed, someone who has a two or more pets and someone who has read the final Harry Potter book. For the next twenty minutes or so, the room was filled with students asking each other questions like “Do you like to read?”, “What month were you born?”, and “Have you visited more than five states?” Michael R. won a small treat for being the first one to complete his list. Go Michael!

When we had finished learning that all the different places we had been and that four are left-handed, I assigned students their classroom numbers and recorded textbook numbers. Next, the students completed a Venn diagram to compare and contrast what they had in common with a person in their group. Before going to lunch, we took a tour of the school and of our classroom. Each student got to go into the classroom library and choose a book or magazine for silent reading. Then it was time for lunch!

After lunch, the students joined me on the rug for a read-aloud. We began reading The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes. It was written back in 1944 but is still such a good story! We read the first chapter today and found out that Wanda hasn’t been in school for a few days and no one in her class even noticed until two girls were waiting before class to “have some fun with her.” We predicted that they were going to pick on her. Our next chapter is called The Dresses Game. We will read it tomorrow.

We spent the afternoon organizing our supplies while we chose classroom jobs. We learned about the different jobs and filled out applications for the job they will hold for the next nine weeks. Tomorrow, we get to find out who I hired for the different positions!

The last thing we did was use a KWL chart to learn more about Mrs. Taylor. On the chart, the students listed what they Knew about me already. I was surprised how much they knew about me already! Then they decided what they Wanted to know and we wrote down questions on the chart. Lastly, I answered their questions and showed them a picture of my family and we filled out what we Learned, such as that I am married and have a little boy who is about to turn three.

Then it was time to go! The bell surprised us, as the clock in our room was running slow so we had to hurry to pass out the parent packets. All in all, I think it was a good first day. I heard many students say they made friends in the classroom and enjoyed their time. I learned a lot about each of my new students and am looking forward to seeing each of them tomorrow!

No comments: